FA F AC CU UL LT TY Y O O F F E E L L EC E C T T R R O O N N I I C C S S A A N N D D T T E E L L E E C C O O M M M M U U N N I I C C A A T T I I O O N N S S
EN E N G G I I N N E E ER E RI IN NG G
Bd. Vasile Pârvan, Nr. 2 300223 – Timişoara, Romania
Tel: +40-256-403291, +40-256-403292 E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: +40-256-403295 Web: www.etc.upt.ro
INTELLIGENT INDUSTRIAL ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS RESEARCH CENTER – I. I. E. S.
Intelligent Industrial Electronic Systems (I.I.E.S.) is a research center, type C, that has been evaluated and accredited by CNCSIS. The Center was created in 11.05.2001, in accordance with the CNCSIS certificate, nr. 106/CC-C. The director of the Center is prof. dr. eng. Mircea CIUGUDEAN.
The Center performs research and design activities in domains such as:
Robotics (production systems, drive control, mobile robots, sensors)
Integrated circuits design
Power electronics (dc-dc converters, power factor correction, neuro-fuzzy control, fuzzy controllers, power active filters)
Neural networks and intelligent sensors.
Prof.dr.eng. Mircea CIUGUDEAN – Director Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications Department of Applied Electronics
2, Vasile Pârvan Bul.
RO-300223 Timişoara Tel: +40-256-403331 Fax: +40-256-403332 Web page: http://www.etc.upt.ro E-mail: [email protected]
Integrated Circuits Design
Keywords: ASIC, VLSI, DA, arithmetic coprocessor
Keywords: sensor, robot, transducers, industrial robot driving
Neural Computing and Intelligent Sensors
Keywords: intelligent sensors, artificial neural network, sensor data processing
Keywords: power converters, power quality, harmonic pollution, power factor correction, soft switching, chaos
Electronic Packaging and Testing Field
Keywords: CAE, CAD, CAM, test sequence- generation, self-testing design, test points, EMC, logic analysis, spectral analysis
Researches in INTEGRATED CIRCUITS DESIGN
The research group in this domain is lead by prof.
dr. eng. Mircea CIUGUDEAN and also includes an associate professor, one lecturer, three assistants, and three graduate students. The group will grow further by four graduate students and three PhD students per year.
Researches in ROBOTICS FIELD DESCRIPTION
The Research Team in Robotics (RTR) is lead by prof. dr. eng. Tiberiu MURESAN and prof. dr. eng.
Ivan BOGDANOV. The team includes one more professor, associate professors, three lecturers and one assistant professor.
The members of the RTR are members of the Robotics Association from Romania which is part of the International Federation of Robotics with the headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden.
In the last years the main research subjects were:
Pilot intelligent production systems
Research on passive systems and active intelligent systems interaction
Microcontroller based control of electrical drives
Interpolation in robot control
Mobile robots control
Sensors for robotics
Equipment for leading the welding heads.
The Robotics Research Team uses six PC computers and simulation software.
RESEARCH PROJECTS 1. Identification 88 / 25.06.2010
Titlu: Advanced PSICE Modeling and Simulation Value: 4200 Euro + VAT (all on 2010) Director: Aurel GONTEAN
Members: Ioan LIE, Marius RANGU FIELD AND GRANT DESCRIPTION Simulation strategies; custom modeling; datasheets constraints
ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS
The customer (Honeywell Safety Romania) received all the required knowledge.
Researches in NEURAL COMPUTING AND INTELLIGENT SENSORS
The research group is coordinated by prof.dr.eng.
Virgil TIPONUT and includes three assistant professors from the Department of Applied Electronics, 8 post-graduates from other universities in Romania and industrial companies (Romania, Canada, USA), who are developing their PhD thesis.
VLSI Implementation of Cellular Neural Networks (CNN)
Applications of CNN in Intelligent Sensors
Applications of CNN in Robotics (Mobile Robots and Colony of Interacting Robots) The research activities are also focused in the field of Computational Intelligence (CI) applications.
Using CI paradigms problems like biometrics - face detection and recognition, time series prediction or autonomous mobile robot navigation are tackle. For coding purpose, mainly MATLAB and C are employed.
General purpose PC compatible computers
DSP boards from Texas Instruments
Microconverter boards from Analog Devices
Software development tools
1. Identification number: PN II, CAPACITATI, Modul III, proiecte de cercetare bilaterale, România- China, cod 39-5/2008, nr. contract ANCS 222/15.04.2009
Title: Research on Emotional Facial Expression recognition in Complicated Environment
Value: 29 304 lei Total (18 755 lei on 2010) Director: Conf. dr. ing. Cătălin-Daniel CĂLEANU, Members: Prof. dr. ing. Radu VASIU, Prof. dr. ing.
Virgil TIPONUŢ, Prof. dr. ing. Vasile GUI, Prof.
dr. ing. Florin ALEXA, Conf. dr. ing. Corina BOTOCA, Drd. ing. Radu MÎRŞU, Drd. ing. Dan IANCHIŞ, Drd. ing. Zoltan HARASZY.
FIELD AND GRANT DESCRIPTION
Study of emotional facial expression recognition represents an advanced research topic in the fields of affective computing and human-computer interaction. It is important to improve the emotion intelligence of the machine and to implement an affective human-machine communication.
However, current researches over the emotional facial expression recognition are usually limited to
simple environments, thus cannot be successfully applied in human-computer interaction. Aiming at the above limits and considering the requirements for robust and automatic emotional facial expression recognition in real life, this project proposes the study of emotional facial expression recognition in complicated environment.
ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS
Activities for 2010:
Several major face imagery processing topics have been addressed, e.g.:
- an overview of the current state of the art systems/algorithms/methodology was performed;
- data acquisition: some of the experiments were performed using Beihang University facial expression database and with images acquired from real environments with complex backgrounds, large variety of emotional states, occlusions;
- preprocessing: we have employed robust techniques for mean shift segmentation, background estimation, tracking;
- feature extraction: a novel method for facial expression recognition which is robust to facial occlusion has been proposed. The face to be recognized is reconstructed using robust principal component analysis (RPCA), and saliency detection is used on the difference image of reconstructed face and the face to be recognized to obtain the facial occlusion region. For improving the nonlinear alignment performance of Active Appearance Models (AAM), we apply a nonlinear manifold learning algorithm, Local Linear Embedded, to model shape-texture manifold.
- classification: some possibilities regarding the use of novel neural architectures (e.g. Liquid State Machine) for processing the facial expression have been analyzed. Also a reweighted AdaBoost classifier has shown good results with respect some public databases of faces, e.g. JAFFE;
- optimization: we have been proposed the application of the Pattern Search Optimization for feature extraction and classification parameters;
- face expression synthesis: novel model of layered fuzzy facial expression generation has been proposed. A novel layered fuzzy facial expression generation language is also developed for conveniently controlling facial expression generation of virtual agent.
According the initial activities plan, four Chinese researchers had visited Romania between 23 - 30 June, 2009. Mission of the four Romanian researchers in P. R. China took place between 27 April – 06 Mai, 2010.
Results for 2010:
1. YuLi Xue, Xia Mao, C.D. Căleanu, ShanWei Lv., “Layered Fuzzy Facial
Expression Generation of Virtual Agent”, Chinese Journal of Electronics, Vol. 19, No.1, pag. 69-74, 2010.
2. YuLi Xue, Xia Mao, C.D. Căleanu, ShanWei Lv., “Robust Facial Expression Recognition Under Occlusion Condition”, Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, (in Chinese), vol. 4, no. 36, 2010.
3. X.K. Wang, X. Mao, C.D. Căleanu,"Nonlinear Shape-Texture Manifold Learning", IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, vol. E93- D, no. 7, pag. 2016-2019, Iulie 2010.
4. C.D. Căleanu, X. Mao, V. Tiponuţ, Y. Xue,
“Direct Search as Unsupervised Training Algorithm for Neural Networks”, 14th WSEAS International Conference on SYSTEMS , Latest Trends on Systems, Vol. I, pag. 575-579, Corfu Island, Greece ISSN: 1792-4235, ISBN: 978-960-474-214-1, Iulie 22-24, 2010.
5. YuLi Xue, Xia Mao, C.D. Căleanu, Q. Chang,
“Layered fuzzy facial expression generation based on sociality, emotion and physiology”, Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, Volume 23, Issue 5, Pages 663-670, ISSN: 1003-6059, http://mssbyrgzn.periodicals.net.cn/default.html, October 2010.
RESEARCH TEAM Prof.dr.eng. Virgil TIPONUŢ Prof.dr.eng. Alexandru GACSADY Assoc.prof.dr.eng. Catalin CALEANU Lect.eng. Aurel FILIP
Lect.eng. Calin LAR Lect.eng. Ioan GAVRILUT Assist.eng. Laviniu TEPELEA
Contact person Prof.dr.eng. Virgil TIPONUT Tel: +40 256 403337
E-mail: [email protected]
Researches in POWER ELECTRONICS The main research themes investigated are:
Improvement and development of new high- frequency PWM and resonant dc/dc converter topologies
Elaboration of new power factor correction circuits
New control techniques for power factor correction circuits using classical solutions or neuro-fuzzy controllers
Research on ac-ac matrix converters and the corresponding control methods
Improvement of the electrical drives using active power filters and fuzzy regulators
Research regarding topologies and operation improvement of active power filters
Development of experimental prototypes for the different circuits as resulted from the theoretical research
The research team uses as technical support six PCs, design and simulation software for power electronics, two power analyzers and many other power electronics devices.
For the present, the research team efforts are focused on creating a power quality test center, according to European regulations.
Prof.dr.eng. Viorel POPESCU – head of the group Prof.dr.eng. Tiberiu MURESAN
Assoc.prof.dr.eng. Dan LASCU Lect.dr.eng. Adrian POPOVICI Lect.dr.eng. Dan NEGOITESCU Lect.eng. Mircea BABAITA
Contact person Prof.dr.eng. Viorel POPESCU Tel: +40 256 403344
E-mail: [email protected]
Researches in ELECTRONIC PACKAGING AND TESTING
The research group in this domain is coordinated by prof. dr. eng. Horia CÂRSTEA, and includes two assistants and three graduated-students. The group established relationships with several regional powerful companies in the electronic packaging field, like SOLECTRON, ABB, TELCO and NOVAR. Also, the group has preferential relations with ALCATEL Network System, Romania in the field of testing electronic equipment.
1. Code2Mob, Application for coding / de-coding 2D bar codes to access Web services on mobile telephones / platforms
Programme: The project represents a contribution to the implementation of the National Strategy for Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) and it corresponds to the aim and objectives of Program 4 of The National Plan for Research, Development and Innovation II for 2007-2013 Total value: 500,000 EURO (48% SIPS, 30% UPT, 28% ATS). (53,345 LEI for 2010)
Director: Lecturer.dr.eng. Marius RANGU Members: Drd.eng. Daniela Mihet
Drd.eng. Paul Constantinescu Dr.eng. Marian Bucos Conf.dr. Romeo Negrea Partners:
o SIPS Design SRL, Deva, Romania, Coordinator of project
o Polytechnic University of Timisoara(UPT), Romania, Partner 1
o Advanced Technology Systems SRL (AST), Targoviste, Romania, Partner 2 FIELD AND GRANT DESCRIPTION
Creating and implementing a platform for mobile telephony. By the Code2Mob application a platform will be implemented which will use the 2D bar codes to access Web Services in SOA architecture, on the mobile telephone. The 2D bar codes will be read with the help of the video camera of the mobile phone. The innovation consists exactly in porting SOA and the Web Services on mobile phones, thus opening unlimited uses of these services. Through the project the platform for Mobile telephony and two demonstrative applications will be created, in two different fields:
m-Learning and m-Marketing.
ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS
Several studies were conducted, regarding the 2D barcodes, their applications to mobile computing and server oriented application (SOA) architectures that would support barcode identification of web services.
A DataMatrix decoder was designed, implemented and tested, currently being operational on mobile phones running Symbian platforms.
An mLearning application was designed and is now being implemented. It will be integrated in the
“Multimedia History” itinerant exhibition organized by a consortium of several Romanian museums.
PhD RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
1. Scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng. Virgil TIPONUŢ PhD students
Liviu LUCACIU: Contributions to the Biometric Systems Development and Implementation
Cristian BURSAŞIU: Contributions to the Optimization of Neural Network Applications Development.
Alin BRÎNDUŞESCU: Contributions to the biological signals simulation using artificial neural networks
Ionuţ MIREL: Methods for Digital Video Images Processing
Călin LAR: Contributions to the Sensorial Data Fusion
Sorin POPESCU: Optimization of the electrical welding process by means of artificial neural networks
Laviniu ŢEPELEA: Human-Machine Interface.
Lucian BUGLEA: Smart Transducers Array
Daniel IANCHIŞ: Cercetari privind sistemele de detectie a obstacolelor pentru nevazatori
Zoltan HARASZY: Human-machine interfaces using acoustics virtual reality
Robert LORINCZ: Driver circuit optimization for BLCD motors
Radu MARŞU: Visual information processing using spiking neuronal network
Sebastian MICUŢ: Reserch on e-Nose devices
David CRISTEA: Universal circuit for biological sensors
Mihai-Emanuel BASCH: Neuromorf circuits for obstacle detection
Teodor-Valentin SANDU: Research on auditive implants optimization
Kristian MOZIK: Biometric methods for person identification
Mihai POMARLAN: Dinamic programming for robots moving planning
2. Scientific supervisor: Prof.dr.eng. Tiberiu MUREŞAN
Solomon MIMIS: Integrated Circuits for Transmission Bit Error Rate Measurement
Petru PAPAZIAN: Intelligent Subsystems for Optimal Control of Technological Processes
Dan Mircea ANDREICIUC: Analysis and Correction Methods for Positioning and Orientation of Mobile Industrial Robots 3. Scientific supervisor: Prof.dr.eng. Mircea
CIUGUDEAN PhD students:
Aurel FILIP: Researches on CMOS Frequency References
Beniamin DRAGOI: Researches on CMOS Integrated Digital Correlator Conception and Design
Iosif MUDRA: Researches on CMOS Integrated Fast Synchronous Comparators
Bogdan MARINCA: Ultrasonic Investigation Optimization by Algorithms Implemented in Dedicated Integrated Circuits.
Andrei PASCA: Clock signal distribution network
George ROSU: Analogue circuits for fuzzy systems
4. Scientific supervisor: Prof.dr.eng. Viorel POPESCU
Mircea BĂBĂIŢĂ: Reaserches on a.c.–d.c.
Cornel GLISICI: Contributions regarding improved capabilities of uninterruptible power supplies
Daniel ALBU: Contributions regarding improved capabilities of switched mode converters with PFC applications
Lucian PĂUN: DC/DC converters with optimized energy parameters
Adrian ŞCHIOP: Contributions to theoretical and experimental study of power converters with ac motor drive applications
Florin PRUTIANU: Contributions to theoretical and experimental study regarding optimization of energy converters from wind power station
Cristian VRÂNCILĂ: Contributions regarding improved performance of active power filters
Ioana-Monica POP: Contributions to theoretical and experimental study regarding optimization of energy converters from solar power station
5. Scientific supervisor: Prof.dr.eng. Aurel GONTEAN
Oana-Silvana POPESCU: Digital modulation with FPGA
Paul HARFAS: Wind turbine diagnostics using signal processing
Mihail-Octavian CERNAIANU: Intelligent control for wind turbin motors
Cosmin CIRSTEA: Wireless sensors networks
Ruxandra-Ioana RUSNAC: Algorithms for mobile target detection
Liviu CRISAN: Group coportament for mobile robots
Adrian-Constantin BERINDE: Neural networks applications in robotics.
Emilian-Silviou GAVRILA: Solutions for automotive testing
6. Scientific supervisor: Prof.dr.eng. Dan LASCU PhD students:
Mircea GURBINA: Contributions to nonlinear phenomena study in power converters
Aurel CIRESAN: Soft-switching converters with applications in green power processing
Vasile-Daniel DRAGHICI: Contributions regarding intelligent driven for power converters
PHD THESES SUSTAINED
Mircea BĂBĂIŢĂ: Contributions to improve the quality of absorbed power in a.c.-d.c.
power supply, scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng.
Benjamin DRAGOI: Research on the conception and design of sinusoidal oscillators integrated in CMOS technology, scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng. Mircea CIUGUDEAN
1. Cătălin-Daniel CALEANU, Virgil TIPINUT, Aurel FILIP, Valentin MARANESCU, Electronic Devices, Politehnica Publishing House, 182 pages, ISBN 978-606-554-042-2 2. Cătălin-Daniel CALEANU, Aurel FILIP,
Virgil TIPINUT, Electronic Devices and Electronic Circuit, Politehnica Publishing House, 195 pages (published in Romanian), ISBN 978-606-554-160-3
3. Virgil TIPONUT, Ioan GAVRILUT, Alexandru GAVCSADI, Autonomous Mobile Robots Driven with Artificial Neuronal Networks, Politehnica Publishing House, 2009, 286 pages, ISBN 978-606-554-167-2 (published in Romanian)
1. Y. Xue, X. Mao, Caleanu Catalin, ShanWei Lv; Layered Fuzzy Facial Expression Generation of Virtual Agent; Chinese Journal of Electronics; Vol. 19, No.1, pp.69-74, ISSN 1022-4653
2. N.D. Trip, S. Lungu, V. Popescu; Modelling of Switched Mode Fly-back Supply for Engineering Education; Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2010, Vol. 10, Nr.
1., pp.100-105, e-ISSN 1844-7600
3. Isar Alexandru, Moga Sorin, Isar Dorina;
Denoising Images using a New Type of Bishrink Filter; Revue Roumaine des Sciences Techniques - Serie Électrotechnique et Énergétique; 55 (1), pp.59-68, ISSN 0035- 4066
4. X.K. Wang, X. Mao, Caleanu Catalin;
Nonlinear Shape-Texture Manifold Learning;
IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems; E93-D, no. 7, pp.2016-2019, ONLINE ISSN 1745-1361; PRINT ISSN 0916-8532
5. Isar Alexandru, Moga Sorin, Isar Dorina;
Denoising SONAR Images Using a Bishrink Filter with Reduced Sensitivity; Revue Roumaine des Sciences Techniques - Serie Électrotechnique et Énergétique; 55 (2), pp.181-190, ISSN 0035-4066
6. Lascu Dan, Pavol Bauer, Băbăiţă Mircea, Lascu Mihaela, Popescu Viorel, Popovici Adrian, Negoiţescu Dan; Distance Education in Soft-Switching Inverters, JPE Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 10, no. 6, pp.628-634, 2010, ISSN 1598-2092, Korea
7. Caleanu Catalin, X. Mao, V. Tiponuţ, Y. Xue ; Direct Search as Unsupervised Training Algorithm for Neural Networks; 14th WSEAS International Conference on SYSTEMS, Latest Trends on Systems, Corfu Island, Greece;
pp.575-579, ISSN: 1792-4235, ISBN: 978-960- 474-214-1
8. Dragoi Beniamin; A New CMOS First Generation Current Conveyor CCI; Annals of DAAAM for 2010, Proceedingd of the 21st International DAAAM Symposium; pp.1029- 1030, ISSN 1726-9679
9. M. Pop, Popescu Viorel; Improvement performances of uninterruptible power supply;
Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Oradea, 2010; Vol. 1, pp.163- 167, ISSN 1844-6035
10. F. Prutianu, Popescu Viorel; Actual configuration of wind power conversion systems and further aspects of wind turbines;
Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Oradea, ISSN 1844-6035; Vol. 1, pp.167-171
11. D. Trip, Popescu Viorel, J. Dudic; Modeling and state control of switched mode dc-dc buck converter; Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Oradea, Vol.1, pp.233-236, ISSN 1844-6035
12. Firoiu Ioana, Isar Alexandru, Isar Dorina; A Bayesian Approach of Wavelet Based Image Denoising in a Hyperanalytic Multi-Wavelet Context; WSEAS TRANSACTIONS on SIGNAL PROCESSING; Issue 4, vol.6, pp.155-164, ISSN 1790-5052
13. YuLi Xue, Xia Mao, Caleanu Catalin, Q.
Chang; Layered fuzzy facial expression generation based on sociality, emotion and physiology; Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence; 23(5), pp.663-670, ISSN 1003- 6059
14. Marllene Daneti; A model based approach for pipeline monitoring and leak locating;
MELECON 2010 - 2010 15th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference ; pp.624-629, ISBN 978-1-4244-5793-9
15. Cernaianu M., Harfas P., Gontean Aurel- Stefan; Code parallelization for wind speed model generator; 33rd International Spring Seminar on Electronics Technology, ISSE 2010, Warsaw, Poland; pp.294-298, ISBN 978- 1-4244-8448-5
16. I. Lie, C. Ionici, Gontean Aurel-Stefan, M.
Cernaianu; EDK Implemented Temperature Controller; 33rd International Spring Seminar on Electronics Technology, ISSE 2010,
Warsaw, Poland; pp.202-203; ISBN 978-1- 4244-8448-5
17. Popescu Silvana, Budura G., Gontean Aurel- Stefan; Review of PSK and QAM — Digital modulation techniques on FPGA; International Joint Conference on Computational Cybernetics and Technical Informatics (ICCC- CONTI); pp.327-332; ISBN 978-1-4244-7432- 5
18. Ruxandra Rusnac, Gontean Aurel-Stefan;
Modeling and simulation of wireless sensor networks for event detection; International Joint Conference on Computational Cybernetics and Technical Informatics (ICCC- CONTI); pp.535-540; ISBN 978-1-4244-7432- 5
19. Firoiu Ioana, Isar Alexandru, Isar Dorina; A Maximum A Posteriori Approach of Hyperanalytic Wavelet Based Image Denoising in a Multi-Wavelet Context; Proceedings of the 9th WSEAS International Conference on SIGNAL PROCESSING (SIP '10), Catania, Italy, pp.113-119, ISBN 978-0-4702-902-5 20. Corina Nafornita, Ioana Firoiu, Dorina Isar,
Jean-Marc Boucher, Alexandru Isar; A Second Order Statistical Analysis of the 2D Discrete Wavelet Transform; Proceedings of IEEE International Conference Communications 2010, Bucuresti, Romania, pp.145-148, ISBN 978-1-4244-6363-3
21. Szabo R., Gontean Aurel-Stefan, Lie I., Babaita M.; Creating an Oscilloscope Driver;
WSEAS International Conference of the Institute for Environment, Engineering, Economics and Applied Mathematics, IEEEAm, Applied Computer Science (ACS), Malta; pp.220-225, ISBN 978-960-474-225-7 22. Rusnac R., Gontean Aurel-Stefan; Maximum
Likehood Estimation Algorithm Evaluation for Wireless Sensor Networks; 12th International Symposium on Symbolic and Numeric Alorithms for Scientific Computing SYNASC 2010, Timisoara; pp.95-98; ISBN 978-0-7695- 4324-6
23. Marllene Daneti; On using a simplified model for leak detection improving in fluid filled pipelines; Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA), 2010 IEEE Conference on, pp.1-8, ISBN 978-1-4244-6848-5 (ISSN 1946-0740)
24. Szabo R., Gontean Aurel-Stefan, Lie Ioan, Babaita, Mircea; Comparison between Agilent and National Instruments functional test systems; 8th International Symposium on Intelligent Systems and Informatics (SISY), 2010 ; pp.87-92, ISBN 978-1-4244-7394-6
25. Gherban-Draut P., Raul Ionel, Gontean Aurel- Stefan, Ioana Ionel; A new approach for carbon monoxide measurement using virtual instrumentation; The 6th WSEAS International Conference on ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT,
ECOSYSTEMS and SUSTAINABLE
DEVELOPMENT (EEESD'10) Selected Topics in Energy, Environment, Sustainable Development and Landscaping; pp.267-271;
26. Dragoi Beniamin; First Generation Current Conveyor Macromodel; Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunication, ISETC’2010; pp.51-54 , ISBN 978-1-4244-8460-7
27. Dragoi Beniamin, Procedural Design of a CMOS Current Conveyor, Doctor Etc 2009, Timisoara, UPT, 24-25.09.2009, pp. 17-22, ISSN 2066-883X
28. Papazian Petru, Băbăiţă Mircea; Hardware implementation of a PIC18F448 based TIM for IEEE1451.2 compliant actuator control;
Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications ISETC 2010, Timişoara, November 11-12, 2010, IEEE Catalog Number: CFP1003L-ART, pp.119-122, ISBN 978-1-4244-8460-7
29. Petru Papazian, Mircea Babaita, Gontean Aurel-Stefan; Wireless Power Supply Using PIC18F448; Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications ISETC 2010, Timişoara, November 11-12, 2010; pp.111-114; ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
30. Ruxandra Rusnac, Gontean Aurel-Stefan;
Target Detection Algorithm Validation in WSN; Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications ISETC 2010, Timişoara, November 11-12, 2010; pp.373-376, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
31. Marllene Daneti; Taking steps in understanding multipath propagation in fluid filled pipelines; Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications ISETC 2010, Timişoara, November 11-12, 2010; pp.399 - 402, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
32. F. Prutianu, Popescu Viorel; Control of single phase inverter for wind energy conversion using PWM technics; Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications ISETC 2010, Timişoara, November 11-12, 2010; pp.95-99, ISBN 978- 1-4244-8458-4
33. N.D. Trip, Popescu Viorel; Digital control for switched mode DC-Buck converters;
Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications ISETC 2010, Timişoara, November 11-12, 2010; pp. 99-103, ISBN 978- 1-4244-8458-4
34. Nafornita Corina, Isar Dorina, Boucher J.-M., Isar Alexandru; An Asymptotic Statistical Analysis of the Hyperanalytic Wavelet Transform; The 5th European Conference on Circuits and Systems for Communications (ECCSC’10) Belgrade, Serbia; pp.101-105, ISBN 978-86-7466-394-3
35. Nafornita Corina, Firoiu Ioana, Isar Dorina, Boucher J.-M., Isar Alexandru; A Second Order Statistical Analysis of the Hyperanalytic Wavelet Transform; Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications ISETC 2010, Timişoara, November 11-12, 2010, pp.311-314, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
36. Paul Harfas, Raul Ionel, Gontean Aurel-Stefan;
Improved Time Delay Estimation using Empirical Mode Decomposition; Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Soft Computing, Brno, Czech Republic; Mendel 2010, pp.325-332, ISBN 978-80-214-4120-0 37. Roland Szabo, Gontean Aurel-Stefan, Ioan Lie;
Sound Based Coin Recognition and Clapper;
Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Soft Computing, Brno, Czech Republic; Mendel 2010, pp.509-516, ISBN 978-80-214-4120-0
38. Gavrila S., Gontean Aurel-Stefan; Greenhouse Energy Balance Modeling Review and Perspectives; Proceedings of the 10th International IFAC Workshop on Programmable Devices and Embedded Systems, 2010; pp.189-194, ISSN 1474-6670 39. Szabo R., Gontean Aurel-Stefan, Lie I.; The
Oscilloscope as a Digital Display; Proceedings of the 10th International IFAC Workshop on Programmable Devices and Embedded Systems, 2010; pp.195-200, ISSN 1474-6670 40. Dragoi Beniamin; Improved First Generation
Current Conveyor Based on Self-Cascode Current Mirror; 18th Telecommunications forum TELFOR 2010, Serbia, Belgrade, November 23-25, 2010; pp.799-802, ISBN 978-86-7466-392-9
Prof.dr.eng. Mircea CIUGUDEAN: Conception of Analog Integrated Circuits and their Applications
Prof.dr.eng. Tiberiu MUREŞAN: Digital Circuits, Industrial Robot Driving, Switched Mode Power Supplies
Prof.dr.eng. Viorel POPESCU: Switched-Mode Power Supplies, Industrial Electronics
Prof.dr.eng. Virgil TIPONUŢ: Analog Electronic Circuits, Logic Programmed Systems, Sensors and Transducers, Neural Networks
Prof.dr.eng. Mihail Eugen TĂNASE: Doppler Telemetry
Prof.dr.eng. Ivan BOGDANOV: Industrial Robots, Computer control of electrical drives
Prof.dr.eng. Sabin IONEL: DSP applications, Statistical signal processing. Failure diagnosis
Assoc.prof.dr.eng. Ioan JIVEŢ: Designing ASIC (VLSI) Circuits, Design of Digital Systems with Micro-Controllers and Micro-Processors, Clinical Applications of Electrical Bio-impedance Tomography
Prof.dr.eng. Aurel GONTEAN: Programmed Logic Systems, Digital Circuits
Prof.dr.eng. Dan LASCU: High Frequency Power Processors, Power Factor Correction Circuits, Switched-Mode Power Supplies, CAD Design in Power Electronics
Assoc.prof.dr.eng. Dan ANDREICIUC:
Industrial Robots, Mobile Robots
Prof.dr.eng. Dorina ISAR: Industrial Process Control Equipment, Signal Processing for Signal / Noise Ratio Enhancement
Lect.dr.eng. Lucian JURCA: Analog Electronic Circuits
Assoc. prof. dr.eng. Adrian POPOVICI:
Industrial Electronics, Materials for Electronics
Assoc. prof. dr.eng Cătălin CĂLEANU:
Electronic Devices and Circuits
Assist.eng. Aurel FILIP: Analog Electronic Circuits
Assist.eng. Sorin POPESCU: Analog Electronic Circuits, Logic Programmed Systems
Assoc. prof. dr. eng. Ioan LIE: Electronics, Doppler Telemetry
Assoc. prof. dr. eng. Dan NEGOIŢESCU:
Industrial Electronics, Power Factor Correction Circuits
Assist.eng. MIRCEA BĂBĂIŢĂ: Digital Circuits
S.l.dr.eng. Valentin MARANESCU: Conception of Analog Integrated Circuits
Assist.eng. Beniamin DRĂGOI: Conception of Analog Integrated Circuits
Assist.dr.eng. Marlene DĂNEŢI: DSP applications, Statistical signal processing, Failure diagnosis
Assist.eng. Petru PAPAZIAN: Digital Circuits
Assist.eng. Bogdan MARINCA: Doppler Telemetry
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH GROUP IN SIGNAL PROCESSING
Adaptive signal processing
Wavelets theory applications
Nonlinear signal processing
Communication networks KEYWORDS
Signals Circuits and Systems, Adaptive Signal Processing, Time-Frequency Representations, Wavelets Theory and Applications, Nonlinear Signal Processing, Neural Networks, Image Processing, Microwave Technique, Theory of Information and Coding, Data Transmission, Modern Communication Networks, Telecommunication Circuits, Digital Signal Processing, Digital Watermarking, Data Transmission on Radio Channels, Mobile Radio Communications
1. CNCSIS IDEI, ID_930, 667/207679/
19.01.2009, Using Wavelets Theory for Decision Making
Director: Alexandru Isar
Value: 999,000 RON (174998.85 RON on 2010)
Members: Prof.dr.eng Ioan Nafornita, Assoc.prof.dr.eng Sorin MOGA
(Telecom Bretagne) Prof. Andrei Campeanu,
Lect. Dr. eng. Corina NAFORNITA, drd. Ioana FIROIU
prep.drd. Cristina STOLOJESCU Web site: http://www.tc.etc.upt.ro/cercetare/
FIELD AND GRANT DESCRIPTION Making decisions is a branch of artificial intelligence that is more and more used in complex applications like medicine (using a diagnostic, a treatment decision is made), geology (using images of a region, some hypotheses regarding the underground composition and some decision about extraction are made) or communications (using information about the functioning of each element of a communication network, some decisions about the resources allocation are made, for example of
the frequency bandwidth). According to Bob Colwell, any machine can have artificial intelligence. This must be developed on the basis of understanding and imitation of the human brain.
The intelligence results from the action of a large group of specialized neurons that use a world model based on memory to make a continuous series of predictions of future events. The neural networks of the cortex must be interpreted like a distributed memory of pattern sequences stoked in an invariant form, hierarchically arranged, accessed in an associative fashion. Between the neural network applications already known we can find applications in decision making for medicine, geology and communications. To make a correct decision, the decider must have the information in an appropriate form. This is the reason why, alternative representations of information are frequently used. A very interesting representation is in this respect the wavelet decomposition. In this project we want to associate the wavelets theory with the neural network theory to solve problems of decisions making in medicine, in geology and in communications.
ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS Selected Publications
(http://www.etc.upt.ro/isprc/publications.html) ISI Journals
- Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering,
- Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.-Electrotechn. et Energ,
- OPTIM 2010 Conference,
- Communications 2010 Conference, - ISETc 2010 Conference,
- ECCS 2010 Conference.
Contact person: [email protected]
1. Ioan Buciu, Ioan Nafornita and Cornelia Gordan; Facial Expression Synthesis and Animation; Affective Computing and Interaction: Psychological, Cognitive and Neuroscientific Perspectives; Didem Gokcay and Gulsen Yildirim (Eds.); IGI-Global; 438;
22 personal contributions; ISBN 978-1-61692- 892-6
2. Lucaciu Radu; Contributions to development of the optical communications systems with
OCDMA; PhD Thesis (in romanian), Politehnica Publishing House, 140; ISBN 978- 606-554-208-2
1. Isar Alexandru, Moga Sorin, Isar Dorina;
Denoising Images using a New Type of Bishrink Filter; Rev. Roum. Sci. Techn.–
Électrotechn. et Énerg.; 55 (1), 2010, pp. 59- 68, ISSN 0035-4066
2. Isar Alexandru, Moga Sorin, Isar Dorina;
Denoising SONAR Images Using a Bishrink Filter with Reduced Sensitivity; Rev. Roum.
Sci. Techn.– Électrotechn. et Énerg.; 55 (2), 2010, pp. 181-190, ISSN 0035-4066
3. Firoiu Ioana, Naforniţă Corina, Boucher Jean- Marc, Isar Alexandru; Searching Appropriate Mother Wavelets for Hyperanalytic Denoising;
Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering; 10 (4), 2010, pp. 125-128, ISSN 1582-7445
4. Corina Botoca, Razvan Bardan, Mircea Botoca, Florin Alexa; Prostate Cancer Prognosis Evaluation Assisted by Neural Networks;
WSEAS TRANSACTIONS on COMPUTERS;
Issue 2, Volume 9, February 2010, 164-173, ISSN 1109-2750
5. Lucaciu Radu, Mihăescu Adrian;
Deconvolutional OCDMA for Indoor Wireless Optical Communications; Carpathian Journal of Electronic and Computer Engineering; vol.
3, 2010, pp.53-56, ISSN 1844-9689
6. Marius Oltean, Miranda Nafornita; "Wavelet OFDM Performance in Frequency Selective Fading Channels"; Proceedings of IEEE International Conference Communications 2010, Bucuresti, Romania, June 10-12; pp.343- 346, ISBN 978-1-4244-6363-3
7. Kovaci Maria, Balta Horia; Comparing the Performance of Duo-Binary Turbo Codes on Rayleigh Channel; Proceedings of IEEE International Conference, Optim 2010, Brasov, Romania, vol. IV; pp.953-956, ISBN 1-4244- 1545-4
8. Janos Gal, Andrei Campeanu, Ioan Nafornita;
Noncoherent Demodulation of Continouos Phase Modulation Signals using Extended Kalman Filtering; Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Optimization of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, 20-22 May, Brasov; p.724-727, ISBN 1-4244-1545-4 9. Firoiu Ioana, Isar Alexandru, Isar Dorina; A
Maximum A Posteriori Approach of Hyperanalytic Wavelet Based Image Denoising in a Multi-Wavelet Context; Proceedings of the
9th WSEAS International Conference on SIGNAL PROCESSING (SIP '10), Catania, Italy; p.113-119, ISBN 978-0470-29025-5 10. Arvinti Beatrice, Toader Dumitru Costache
Marius, Isar Alexandru ; Electrocardiogram Baseline Wander Removal Using Stationary Wavelet Approximations; Proceedings of IEEE International Conference, Optim 2010, Brasov, Romania, vol. IV; p.890-895, ISBN 1-4244- 1545-4
11. Corina Nafornita, Ioana Firoiu, Dorina Isar, Jean-Marc Boucher, Alexandru Isar; A Second Order Statistical Analysis of the 2D Discrete Wavelet Transform; Proceedings of IEEE International Conference Communications 2010, Bucuresti, Romania, June 10-12; p.145- 148, ISBN 978-1-4244-6363-3
12. Balta Maria, Nafornita Miranda, Kovaci Maria, Balta Horia; Designing Convolutional Codes used in Multi-Binary Turbo Codes;
Proceedings of IEEE International Conference Communications 2010, Bucuresti, Romania;
p.195-198, ISBN 978-1-4244-6363-3
13. Janos Gal, Andrei Campeanu, Ioan Nafornita;
Kalman Noncoherent Detection of CPFSK Signal; The 8th International Conference on Communication COMM2010, 10-12 June, Bucuresti; p.65-68, ISBN 978-1-4244-6363-3 14. Stolojescu Cristina, Moga Sorin, Lenca
Philippe, Isar Alexandru; A Wavelet Based Prediction Method for Time Series; Stochastic Modeling Time Series Techniques and Data Analysis International Conference (SMTDA2010); p.126-133, ISBN 978-988- 17012-9-9
15. Marius Oltean, Miranda Nafornita; Wavelet OFDM Performance in Frequency Selective Fading Channels; Proceedings of IEEE International Conference Communications 2010, Bucuresti, Romania; p.343-346, ISBN 978-1-4244-6363-3
16. Lucaciu Radu, Mihăescu Adrian, Vlădeanu Călin; Dynamic OCDMA Coding for Indoor Wireless Optical Communications;
Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Communications ''COMM 2010", Communications Networks and Systems, Bucharest; p.347-350, ISBN 978-1- 4244-6360-2
17. M. Mangri, M. Nafornita; Tracing systems for user&Control-Plan traffic of Packet Core of GPRS-UMTS network; 2010 Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Soft Computing Applications (SOFA), 15-17 July 2010 Arad, p.89 - 94, ISBN 978-1-4244-7985-6
18. M. Mangri, M. Nafornita; MEGACO Correlation Method; ICCOM'10 Proceedings of the 14th WSEAS international conference on Communications World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society (WSEAS) Stevens Point, Wisconsin, USA, 2010; p.252- 258, ISBN 978-960-474-200-4
19. Corina Nafornita, Ioana Firoiu, Dorina Isar, Jean-Marc Boucher, A. Isar; A Second Order Statistical Analysis of the Hyperanalytic Wavelet Transform; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania, November 2010; p.311- 314, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
20. Balta Horia, Kovaci Maria, Nafornita Miranda, Balta Maria; Multi-Binary Turbo-Code Design based on Convergence of Iterative Turbo- Decoding Process; Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Circuits and Systems for Communications (ECCSC’10), Belgrade, Serbia; p.240-243, ISBN 978-86-7466-394-3 21. Kovaci Maria, Balta Horia; Comparing the
Performance of Duo-Binary Turbo Codes on Rice Flat Fading Channel; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania; p.217-220, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
22. Andor Ioan Eugen, Ardelean Lucian, Baltă Horia, Kovaci Maria, Oltean Marius, Isar Alexandru; A Study of the Permutation Schemes Used in Mobile Wireless Communications; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania; p.169-172, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4 23. Oltean Marius, Kovaci Maria, Mountassir Jamal, Isar Alexandru, Lazar Petru; A physical layer simulator for WiMAX; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania; p.133-136, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
24. Beatrice Arvinti, Marius Oltean, Alexandru Isar, Dumitru Toader, Marius Costache; ECG Statistical Denoising in the Wavelet Domain;
Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania; p.307-310, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4 25. Ioan Eugen Andor, Lucian Ardelean, Horia
Balta, Maria Kovaci, Marius Oltean, Alexandru Isar; A Study of the Permutation Schemes Used in Mobile Wireless Communications;
Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and
Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania; p.169-172, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4 26. Cristina Stolojescu; Long-Range Dependence in WiMAX Traffic; Proceedings of the 9'th IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and Communications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara;
P.241-244, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
27. Cristina Stolojescu, Ion Railean, Sorin Moga, Alexandru Isar; Comparison of Wavelet Families with Application to WiMAX Traffic Forecasting; Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Optimization of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, OPTIM 2010, Brasov. p.932-937, ISBN 978-1-4244- 1545-4
28. Firoiu Ioana, Nafornita Corina, Isar Dorina, Boucher J.-M, Isar Alexandru; An Asymptotic Statistical Analysis of the Hyperanalytic Wavelet Transform; Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Circuits and Systems for Communications (ECCSC’10) Belgrade, Serbia; p.274-277, ISBN 978-86-7466-394-3 29. Marius Oltean, Ioana Firoiu; BER per Scale
Performance of a Wavelet OFDM Transmission through Time and Frequency Selective Channels; Proceedings of 5th European Conference on Circuits and Systems for Communications (ECCSC'10); p.212-215, ISBN 978-1-61284-400-8
30. Andy VESA, Arpad IOZSA; Direction – of – Arrival Eestimation for Uniform Sensor Arrays; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications, Timisoara, 11-12 noiembrie 2010; p.249-252, ISBN 978-1-4244- 8458-4
31. Arpad IOZSA, Andy VESA; The ESPRIT Algorithm. Variants and precision;
Proceedings of the 9th, International Symposium on Electronics and Telecommunications, Timisoara, 11-12 noiembrie 2010; p.165-168, ISBN 978-1-4244- 8458-4
32. Lucaciu Radu; Multipath Interference Reduction Using Deconvolution in OCDMA Wireless Optical System; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania, November 2010;
p.277-280, ISBN 978-1-4244-8457-7
33. Vlădeanu Călin, Păun Adrian Florin, Lucaciu Radu, El Assad Safwan; Parallel Turbo-TCM Schemes using Recursive Convolutional GF(2N) Encoders over Frequency Non- Selective Fading Channel; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of
Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania, November 2010;
p.285-288, ISBN 978-1-4244-8457-4
34. Simu Calin, Eugen Marza; An Error Study on some Digital Interpolation Kernels for Body Surface Potential Maps; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania, November 2010; p.377- 380, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
35. Balint Cornel, Budura Georgeta, Marza Eugen;
Scheduling techniques evaluation in LTE systems with mixed data traffic; Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium of Electronics and Telecommunications, ISETC 2010, Timisoara, Romania, November 2010;
p.221-224, ISBN 978-1-4244-8458-4
36. Lucaciu Radu, Mihăescu Adrian, Vlădeanu Călin; Receiver Mobility Influence on OCDMA Indoor Wireless Communications System Performances; Proceedings of the 9th WSEAS International Conference on Circuits, Systems, Electronics, Control & Signal Processing ''CSECS 2010“, Recent Researches in Circuits, Systems, Electronics, Control & Signal Processing, Vouliagmeni, Athens, Greece;
p.76-80, ISBN 978-960-474-262-2; ISSN 1792-7315
37. Andy VESA, Arpad IOZSA, Florin ALEXA;
The influence of the Phase Current of a Linear Array over the Directivity Pattern; IEEE International Joint Conferences on Computational Cybernetics and Technical Informatics (ICCC-CONTI 2010), Timisoara, 27-29 Mai 2010; p.131-134, ISBN 978-1-4244- 7431-8
38. Simu Calin, Eugen Marza; Digital Interpolation of Body Surface Potential Maps;
Journal of Electronics Engineering; Vol. 3, Nr.1, 2010, p.197-200, ISSN 1844-6035 39. Simu Calin; Interpolation techniques applied
on sparsely sampled ECG signals – part one:
methods and kernels; Buletinul Ştiinţific al Universităţii "Politehnica" din Timişoara; Tom 55 (69), fasc.1, 2010, p21-24, ISSN 1583-3380 40. Simu Calin; Interpolation techniques applied
on sparsely sampled ECG signals – part two:
error evaluation; Buletinul Ştiinţific al Universităţii "Politehnica" din Timişoara; Tom 55 (69), fasc.1, 2010, P.25-28, ISSN 1583- 3380
41. Lucaciu Radu, Mihăescu Adrian; Simulation Program for FIR Filter Approximation of Indoor Wireless Optical Channel; Scientific Bulletin of the “Politehnica” University of Timisoara, Transactions on Electronics and
Communications, TOM 55(69); Fasc.1, p.8-12, ISSN 1583-3380
42. Ion Railean,Cristina Stolojescu, Sorin Moga, Philippe Lenca; WIMAX Traffic Forecasting based on Neural Networks in Wavelet Domain;
The Fourth International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS); Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS);
p.447-455, ISBN 978-988-17012-9-9
43. Lucaciu Radu, Mihăescu Adrian;
Deconvolutional OCDMA for Indoor Wireless Optical Communications; Proceedings of International Symposium on Embedded Systems Design and Applications, ESDA 2010, Baia Mare, 13-15 May; p.156-159, ISBN 978- 606-536-096-9
44. Ion Railean, Sorin Moga, Monica Borda, Cristina Stolojescu; Neural Networks vs Genetically Optimized Neural Networks in Time Series Prediction; Proceedings of the Stochastic Modeling Techniques and Data Analysis International Conference (SMTDA 2010); 8 pag; ISBN 978-988-17012-9-9 45. Andy VESA; Direction of Arrival Estimation
using MUSIC and Root – MUSIC Algorithm;
Proceedings of the 18th Telecommunications Forum TELFOR 2010, Belgrad, 23-25 noiembrie 2010; p.582-585, ISBN 978-86- 7466-392-9
46. Simu Calin, A generator for synthetic electrocardiographic signals, Doctor ETc 2009, 24-25 septembrie 2009, Timisoara, pp.
103-106, ISSN: 2066-883X
PhD RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
1. Scientific Supervisor: Prof. dr. eng. Ioan NAFORNIŢĂ
Mirela BIANU, Contributions on adaptive signal processing in telecommunications
Romulus REIS, Non-Stationary Signal Description by Non-Parametrical Method
Janos GAL, Contributions on Kalman Filters Use in Telecommunications
Marius SALAGEAN, Non-Stationary Signal Description by Non-Parametrical Method
Florin VANCEA, Data Protection in Communication Networks
Andy VESA, Improvement of Digital Radio Systems Detection,
Teodora PELA, Traffic Optimization on Metropolitan Area Networks,
Adina DABA, Non-Stationary Signal Description by Non-Parametrical Method,
Arpad IOZSA, Beamforming techniques.
Cristian-Alin MOS, Security systems in road traffic.
2. Scientific Supervisor: Prof. dr. eng. Miranda NAFORNIŢĂ
Radu LUCACIU, Optical communication systems with OCDMA
Mirela VIOR, Quality transmission improvement using turbo codes
Sorin POPA, Synchronization techniques improvement for radio channel transmission systems
Marius OLTEAN, Radio channel equalization using cyclic prefix
Florin Lucian MORGOS, Radio channels equalization techniques improvement
Ioan CARLIA, Collaborative adhoc wireless mobile networks
Marin MANGRI, Optimizarea tracing-ului la protocoalele de timp real din IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystems)
Calin SIMU, Acquisition of EKG signals using Bluetooth
3. Scientific Supervisor: Prof. dr. eng. Alexandru ISAR
Ioana Firoiu (Adam), Despeckling of sonar images by multi-resolution filtering
Cristina Stolojescu, Traffic predictions in wireless networks.
Victor CUTEANU, Contributions in satellite receiver design.
Petru LAZAR, Protocols in wireless communications networks.
Ioan ANDOR, Security techniques used in wireless communications networks.
Beatrice, ARVINTI, Tele monitoring for patients suffering from heart desease.
Lucian, ARDELEAN, Interference reduction techniques in WiMAX technology.
Daniel BOJNEAGU, first year student.
Jamal MOUNTASIR, Study on LTE wireless networks.
PHD THESES SUSTAINED
Marius OLTEAN, Contributions to optimise the radio channel transmission using wavelet functions, scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng.
Radu LUCACIU, Cotributions in development of the optical communication systems with OCDMA, scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng.
Calin SIMU, Contributions to the ECG signal analysis and processing, scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng. Miranda NAFORNITA
Janos GAL, Contributions on Kalman Filters Use in Telecommunications, Scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng. Ioan NAFORNITA
Ioana Firoiu (Adam), Complex wavelet transform: applications to denoising, scientific supervisor Prof.dr.eng. Alexandru ISAR
Prof.dr.eng. Ioan NAFORNIŢĂ: Signals, Circuits and Systems, Adaptive Signal Processing, Time-frequency Representations, Wavelets Theory’s Applications, Microwave Techniques, Image processing, Digital watermarking
Prof.dr.eng. Miranda NAFORNIŢĂ: Theory of Information and Coding, Data Transmission, Signals, Circuits and Systems, Modern Communication Networks
Prof.dr.eng. Alexandru ISAR: Signals, Circuits and Systems, Wavelets Theory’s Applications, Time-frequency Representations, Compression, Coding
Prof.dr.eng. Andrei CÂMPEANU:
Telecommunication Equipment Technology, Telecommunication Circuits
Assoc. Prof. dr. eng. Corina BOTOCA:
Microwave Techniques, Signals, Circuits and Systems, Neural networks
Assoc.Prof.dr.eng. Georgeta BUDURA: Signals, Circuits and Systems, Nonlinear Signal Processing, Telecommunication Circuits
Lect.dr.eng. Cornel Balint: Speach coding, Telecommunications network, Digital Switching
Lect.dr.eng. Horia BALTĂ: Optical Transmission and Processing of Information, Statistical Theory of Information Transmission, Theory of Information and Coding
Assist.eng. Maria KOVACI: Statistical Theory of Information Transmission, Theory of Information and Coding, Signals Circuits and Systems
Assist.eng. Janos GAL: Signals, Circuits and Systems, Telecommunication Circuits
Assist.eng. Radu LUCACIU: Optical Transmission and Processing of Information
Lect. dr. eng. Nicolae MICLĂU: Optical Transmission and Processing of Information, Theory of Information and Coding
Lect.dr.eng. Corina NAFORNIŢĂ: Digital Signal Processing, Digital Watermarking
Assist.eng. Marius OLTEANU: Data Transmission on Radio Channels
Assist.eng. Marius SĂLĂGEAN: Signals, Circuits and Systems
Assist.eng. Andy VESA: Radio communication, Wireless communications
CONTACT PERSON Prof. dr. eng. Ioan NAFONIŢĂ Tel: +40-256-403302
E-mail: [email protected]
RESEARCH GROUP IN IMAGE PROCESSING AND MULTIMEDIA TECHNOLOGIES
Television and Digital Television
Digital Image Processing
Interactive Multimedia Techniques
Internet Security Techniques
Advanced learning technologies
WWW, Hypermedia and Internet
Image Processing, Sound Processing, Multimedia, Image Compression, Interactive Applications, Web Services, E-learning
1. CNCSIS IDEI, ID_930, 667/19.01.2009 Title:
Fuzing Statistic and Semantic Modeling in Image Sequences Analysis
Director: prof.dr.eng Vasile GUI Value: 150,000 RON
Members: prof.dr.eng. Florin ALEXA
Assoc.rof.dr.eng. Cătălin CĂLEANU Teach assist. dr. eng. Ciprian DAVID Teach assist. eng. Gheorghe POPA Dr.eng. Georgiana SIMION FIELD AND GRANT DESCRIPTION
Probabilistically oriented approaches for image sequence analysis have difficulties in modeling complex situation encountered in real world applications. To alleviate this problem, we propose a new theoretical framework for fusing the
statistical thinking level with the semantical level in the benefit of both. We will test the effectivenes of the concept on object tracking and motion estimation tasks, related to human body motion analysis. We define three main research objectives.
The first one is the development of a semantically guided kernel traker. The best method to exploit semantic information extracted from the iamge sequence through inference in the traking performance improvement will be investigated. Our second research objective is to find effective use of the new sparse representation in motion modeling and semantic inference. The third research objective is to enhance a foreground/background segmenter by higher level information extracted from the processed image sequence.
ACTIVITIES AND RESULTS Development of a semantically guided tracker Robust background estimation
2. PNCD II project nr. 11-057/14.09.2007: Bio- medical signal acquisition and remote transmission over mobile computing equipments BIOMED-TEL
Director: Prof.dr.eng. Radu VASIU Value 2010: 20,000 RON
Members: Prof.dr.eng. Corneliu TOMA Assoc.lect.eng. Diana ANDONE Lect.dr.eng. Mugur MOCOFAN Assist.eng. Marian BUCOS Assist.eng. Mihai ONITA Eng. Marius CONDREA PhD student Iasmina ERMALAI PhD student Andrei TERNAUCIUC PhD student Cristian TECU
PhD student Bogdan Dragulescu Partners: Transilvnia University of Brasov
Technical University of Cluj-Napoca Siemens PSE Brasov
IBCI – Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases Iasi
FIELD AND GRANT DESCRIPTION:
Cardiovascular affections are a prime cause of mortality and morbidity in Romania. The risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality remains high despite the attempts of correcting the cardiovascular risk factors. In the field of cardiovascular pathology the death risk by cardiovascular or vascular-cerebral accident persists even after the patients have left the hospital.
Monitoring the health condition of these and the analysis of evolution trends of the biophysical and biochemical parameters represents an essential prevention factor.
The project envisages research, design and implementation of a flexible and self-adapting system for the monitoring of biological signals.
Research and design activities will be oriented towards developing a system architecture and organization for remote monitoring and creating the interfaces for acquisition, monitoring and remote transmission to a hospital unit (hub). The signals acquired from the patient include: heart bio- potentials, blood pressure, blood O2 concentration, heart and breath rate, temperature, blood glucose concentration etc. The mobile computing equipments (MCE) integrated in the systems will be: Personal Digital Assistant (PDA), and/or „smart phones” (mobile phones MP).
The project will use hard – and software platforms (PDA and MP) of broad usability, which correspond to the requirements of the application in terms of computing power and also by their low price. Based on intelligent interfaces that will be designed, the system will automatically integrate the sensors in „plug & play” mode and also adapt its communication strategy with the hub/dispatcher for cost minimization and for ensuring the reliability and availability of the data link. It cannot be neglected, that this system development strategy will offer high versatility and scalability and will allow for expanding project results beyond the field of remote medicine.
The project will develop and integrate two categories of intelligent interfaces: 1. specific to signal acquisition from sensors placed on the patient and 2. communication – dedicated (by wire or wireless) necessary for warning/alert messages transfer and also for data transfer to the hospital hub. Remote data-transmission will allow for communication technologies, like: Near Field Communication (RFID, ZigBee, RuBee, Bluetooth), remote wireless: GSM/GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, Wi-Fi, WiMax as well as the wire based ISDN and Ethernet.
The project is relevant to research direction ―1 – Information and communication Technology‖, theme priority: “1.6. Technologies for distributed systems and embedded systems‖, aimed at developing of new technologies for integrated systems based on biomedical sensors networks (specific objective 1.6.14). The project objectives envisage also the development of applications for communication and computing embedded systems (specific objectives 1.6.17 and 1.16.16) ensuring local data processing and transmission to the hospital hub.
The purpose is to develop new technologies for integrated systems based on intelligent sensor networks for monitoring biological signals, remote transmission and processing for prevention and diagnosis. Envisaged are both theory development of architecture and organization of the systems for intelligent sensor networks (wire based or wireless) as well as practical implementation and testing of the mobile monitoring system carried by the patient. The proposal has innovative characteristics:
the architecture and organization; the „plug&play”
interfaces in compliance with the IEEE 1451 standard; the integration based on widespread platforms (PDA, MP); processing, analysis and detection of alerts using also „artificial intelligence”
methods, development of strategies allowing for high reliability of the data link with the hospital hub, all these are characteristics of a modern and extremely useful solution for the developments in the field of bioengineering. The project will create the conditions for radically improved material bases required for the monitoring of the main biological parameters of the patient in the ambulatory which will increase the efficiency of the medical art, especially prevention, reduce the costs of medical assistance and extend the experimental base, very necessary in the field. Also, the formative component, especially by integrating young researchers in a field with real prospects contributes to the relevance of the project.
Analysis of the current world wide developments in the field of ambulatory monitoring of biological parameters acquired signals of processing techniques and methods, instrumentation and dedicated sensors. The stress will be laid on advanced signal processing techniques for preventing or early detection of the patient’s health state deterioration;
Definition of the full specifications – hardware and software for the monitoring application;
Development of system architecture and organization, adequate for monitoring;
Design of acquisition and communication interfaces at MCE in accord with the specification including those regarding energy consumption minimization;